Thursday, June 14, 2012

Baby Smith Update

The past 48 hours have been some of the most stressful and scary moments I've encountered. This pregnancy has been absolutely wonderful. I haven't had any symptoms of being pregnant (except for the ever-growing belly) and I have really enjoyed every moment. My pregnancy with Brooke was much different! I was sick from day one and even switched OB/GYNs because one wouldn't allow me to continue taking Zofran after the first trimester. Thank goodness for Zofran!

Back on May 30 I went to my first OB appointment and everything went really well. My bloodwork was good and it was right in line with me being about 6 weeks pregnant. Everything was perfect!

On Tuesday afternoon, I began bleeding more than usual. I had spotted throughout the pregnancy, but nothing of significance. Tuesday was a different story. Brooke and I had planned to pick up Anne and go shopping in Stephenville for the afternoon and then grab some dinner. At dinner I informed Anne about what was going on and went ahead and decided to put a call into the on-call doctor. While waiting, I decided to call my friend KayCee who is an OB nurse and Anne called a friend of hers to see what they thought was going on. Both reassured me that everything was ok and with the stress that I had been under the previous week, it was my body saying to SLOW DOWN! I was bleeding, but I had no cramping or clotting symptoms as would be the case in a miscarriage.

Within a few minutes the doctor called me back and said that I needed to be on bed rest until I could get in to see them tomorrow. Unfortunately, they couldn't get me in until 3 on Wednesday, but everything worked out. Taylor was having to work nights this week, so it gave him time to rest and me to relax until the appointment. I couldn't have asked for better care. The nurses were AMAZING and very encouraging that everything was going to be ok. I went in for the regular pee test, then to my exam room. The nurse immediately began asking all kinds of questions to try to figure out what was going on. While trying to concentrate on my answers, I could feel gushes coming out (sorry, TMI I know). I apologized to her and said that I needed to go back to the bathroom. She was so sweet! She asked if I needed anything and then came in the bathroom to check on me. She asked if I was ok and through my tears I said, "I'm just scared."

The doctor came in the room shortly afterwards and said that he wanted a sonogram to see if he could tell what was going on and then some more bloodwork to be able to compare my counts to two weeks ago.

The sonogram technician came to get me and as I was about to sit on the table she said, "Before you get too comfortable, I'm going to need you to undress for a vaginal sonogram." I was shocked! I never had to have one of THOSE with Brooke. I said, "Ok, but I'm bleeding A LOT!" She then replied with, "Yes. I know. That's why you're here." Duh Shea! Just shut-up and let her do her job :) SIDE NOTE: Sonogram machines have come a LONG way in 10 years. You used to have to look at that itty bitty screen to see what was going on and even then the mother couldn't really see anything with the way it was angled. Who knew that they could display it on a huge TV screen right in front of you?! I love technology!

As soon as we could see something on the screen, I immediately began looking for that infamous blur of a heartbeat. Nothing. Tears began to roll. The first thing she came across was to point out that I have a fibroid tumor (news to me). Of course my mind starts rolling and blaming my bleeding on that. Not so much. She then found the embryo sac, which was a good thing...sort of. I kept searching for a baby. Nothing. More tears. She then stated that the sac was measuring at 5 weeks instead of the 8 weeks that we had thought. Then she was done. What?! Where's the good news? Where's the "everything is just fine Shea" statement? The tears poured out.

I went back to the exam room to wait on the doctor's comments. L.O.N.G.E.S.T. waiting period ever! The doctor stated that there was a sac, which crossed out several other complicated situations. That was good news! He said that one reason I might be bleeding is that the egg is attaching to the uteran wall and buries itself, causing bleeding. Who knows! I went and had more blood drawn and was told that I would received the results tomorrow.

Well tomorrow is here and I sat by the phone ALL day. The call came around 2:30 and I was ready for the best and worst. I just needed to know.
"You still have a baby!"
Those were the most beautiful words I've ever heard! She continued to say that my blood counts looked really good and that they still wanted to see me again for my regular scheduled appointment next Wednesday. She said that I need to lay low, no picking up anything and definitely no stress to my pelvis area. Yes ma'am!

The next week on bed rest may be really LONG, but I know that it will all be worth it in the end.

We are so thankful for our good news today, but we continue to ask for prayers as we are not out of the woods yet. Thank you for your amazing support, words of encouragement and prayers. We are blessed more than ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment